Being childless at Christmas -for some- can be nearly as hard as Mothers or Fathers Day. In general, Christmas is centered around kids. So what is Christmas like for us?
Well, being in the 'bum luck' crowd is from where I speak. There are some brutal truths forthcoming. And I want to say right now that I don't feel this way today. You follow? As time goes by, things get better and better. Which is a beautiful thing.
This is years worth of thoughts and feelings for you to consider when dealing with your own friends or loved ones who have been slapped by that 'bum luck'. A shoe on the other foot! The funny thing about "feelings" is that there is no right or wrong, just ownership.
So here goes your peek:
1) We are not second class citizens. Because we don't have to put someone down for a nap is it OK to assume we can roam about with out a care in the world? Treat us with the same considerations that anyone deserves, don't punish us for being childless. We've done enough of that to ourselves.
2) We still have lives, loves, hopes and dreams. Our lives are not worthless nor empty. They just aren't 'full' of the same things. Now how wonderful is that? Isn't that every one's wish?
3) We aren't stupid. IQ has not, never was, nor ever will be based upon whether or not we had kids. Do not disqualify us! We simply 'know' different things.
4) We are approachable, even when it hurts. Are you pregnant or planning? Don't be afraid to tell us. Yes it can hurt for us. But for as much as it may momentarily sting, we still rejoice for you. I do.
5) Never assume we didn't want children.
6) And my new favorite comeback line...knowing there is a little 'homesteader' in us. When that rude and slightly jealous person asks, "Gee, is there nothing you can't do?"
My response, "Yes, make babies." That'll shut'em up.
We are just people. The measure of our worth is based on things like who we are, where our hearts are, how we treat others and how we live.
So I don't know if I answered the question "What is Christmas like for us?"
Same as it is for you of course! IT'S CHRISTMAS! It's too many parties, driving in the snow, making cookies, wrapping presents, being with family and on and on! But mostly...It's a Miracle to be Celebrated!!
Life is beautiful!
We are thankful!
We are blessed...Even though we are childless!