Friday, July 9, 2010

Death by Destruction!

What could cause this much destruction?




Here Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!  I made a big mess!

NEVER trust a clean cook...or a clean dog...
Missy
Why is it when you are up to elbows in goo...

...someone wants to go potty?  It would have to wait...
Emma

Chelsi...oh Chelsi!  Guess what time it is?!

Not only did my house pay dearly for this little excursion, but I have at least 30 skeeter bites to show for it.  They were man-sized eaters! 

I wish I were joking...but not so!  I feel like Phoebe from Friends...could some one please duct-tape some oven mitts to my hands??

If you haven't guessed it...It's time for Blueberries!

I got there early and picked about 10 pounds.  I am going back for more I think!
So I wanted to share with you, the fruits of the labor.

Fresh Blueberry Pie - Chelsi...I hope you do this one and report back!

1 C Sugar (Aunt Bev's recipe calls for 3/4 C brown sugar and 1/4 C white sugar, I like it best w/ all white)
3 T Tapioca
1 t Salt
2 T Lemon Juice
1 T Butter for 'dotting'
3 T Water
4 C Blueberries

Blend all ingredients except the butter and place in your pie shell.  (see link for pie dough how to)  Dot w/ Butter.  Place top crust, flute edges and slit the top.  You can do the egg white and 2 T cream wash if you want and sprinkle with Cinnamon and Sugar if you like.  Bake in 375 degree oven till golden and just starting to bubble.

This is my favorite Blueberry Pie!  I will be making one for my Brother-In-Law, Eric pretty soon here! 

He has a "thing" for squirrels...and hunting.

However today, I made Blueberry Pie Filling, compliments of the USDA guidelines and as follows:
Makes 7 Quarts

6 Qt Fresh Blueberries
6 C Sugar
2 1/4 C ClearJell
7 C Cold Water
1/2 C Lemon Juice

Wash and drain blueberries.  Blanch in large pot of boiling water and boil for exactly one minute.  Drain and return to pot and keep lid on to keep them warm.
Combine in large stock pot, your sugar and ClearJell.
Add water and place on Medium/High heat.  Stir till thick and bubbly.  It gets real hard to stir after a while!
Add Lemon Juice and boil exactly One Minute.
Fold in Blueberries.
Ladle into hot jars and seal with hot rims and lids.
Process in Hot Water Bath for 30 minutes.  Remove.
Let them rest for 12-24 hours.  Lightly check seals.

If you want to freeze your blueberries, you actually are not supposed to clean them.  All you do is place them single file on a cookie sheet and give them a 'flash freeze' then Bag.  You clean them as you use them.

So today I made a special trip to the POST OFFICE!  Yeah!!!!!  Congrats MamaTea!

And I wanted to share a picture of my bestest little girl with you...

This is my puppy-dogger, Ami.  The little gal is getting up there and I am heartbroken that her time is so close.  But today isn't that day!!!  She has puppy Alzheimer's.  I love her to death and am fighting the tears.  But not today...not today!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

7 comments:

  1. No, not today! Nana isn't ready either! But knowing that we will all be there for you should help ease some of the sadness. And of course the happy memories that Ami has given you over the years should bring a smile to your face. She was loved beyond love and left her little footprint on all of our hearts! Okay, now I'm crying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it! Or I will jump off a cliff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, looks delish! Oh how I love boo berry pie!!! Thanks for the shout out! YUM! Wait, do you think you could bake me one and send it on over? I will go to the store and buy vanilla ice cream to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wellll...I could be persuaded to send a JAR...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't Amy's YEAR damn it. She is hanging on for one more Christmas at least. I promise you...I can feel it. She is going to make a huge recovery in the next few days and be back to her very old self. Little Aimers...I just love her to pieces.

    And listen, before I was crying at the end of your post, I was laughing my big butt off at that squirrel picture!!!! I need to blow that up for Eric. Seriously...he would die :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo, your canned blueberry pie filling recipe is really tempting me. I usually just freeze my blueberries and then make the pie filling when needed from them. But having the filling all made up . . . just might hafta try that this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your destruction looks beautiful. :) And I've gotta say, your kitchen looks a hundred times cleaner than mine when I get done!! How do you manage that??

    Ami is beautiful. An absolute doll. I don't even know her in real life and I love her. Give her a big squishy hug and a sloppy kiss right on the lips for me. :)

    ReplyDelete