Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pickles, Peppers, Pots, and Peace...

Yesterday was one of those days that you can't help but feel all good inside.  It was relatively cool out, maybe a bit gray at times, but it reminded me of summers at Grama's house.  I would wake up to a box fan in the window, Grama's pure white chenille bed spread, embroidered pillow cases and peace.  I miss those times.

The chorus of Edwin McCain's "These are the Moments" kept rolling thru my head.

"And these are the moments,
I thank God that I'm alive.
And these are the moments,
I'll remember all my life.
I've got all I've Waited for,
And I could not ask for more."
 
And I couldn't agree more!  So I really enjoyed leaving the TV off most the day and padding around all happy like as I took my own sweet time making Bread and Butter Pickles and Pepperoncini Peppers.  Grama would have loved it too!

Bread and Butter Pickles

3 Qts sliced Cucumbers
2 Onions, sliced
1/2 C Canning Salt
Let these three ingredients stand in cold water for 3 hours.
Then drain and set aside.
In large stock pot, combine the following:
2 C Sugar
3 t Celery Seed
2 t Mustard Seed
Pinch of Turmeric
1 Qt Vinegar
Heat mixture and add drained cukes/onions and bring to a boil.
Ladle into hot jars, rims and seals.  Process in Hot Water Bath for 10 minutes.

Pepperoncini Peppers

3 Qts Pepperoncini Peppers, with stems left on and slits cut thru each pepper
3 C Vinegar
3 C Water
3 t Canning Salt

This is an easy to adjust recipe.  Just keep the amount the same for each unit of measure and you are good to go!

Heat the vinegar, water and salt to a boil.  Pack hot jars firmly with peppers.  Ladle mixture into jars and with a good and bendy spatula, firmly press out air bubbles.  There will be alot as the vinegar mixture soaks into and thru the slits in peppers.  Add more peppers as needed.  Pack them good!  Place rims and lids and then process in Hot Water Bath for 10 minutes.

Hope you all find a little peace today.  But if you can't, find a memory that takes you there. 

Love and Hugs!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes!!! I can't wait to try a lot of them!! I may have to try the pepperoncini my hubby loves them so that could be a nice treat for him.....Thanks again for sharing..and I'm hoping to find that little peace today also!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh How I love Homemade pickles!
    Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! Love pickles and peppers. They looks beautiful...you've been busy! And your memory of waking up at Gramma's house gave me a peaceful morning. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must have been required for all Grandma's to have that bedspread, because mine had it too. You were not allowed on the bed in your clothes or you might get it dirty. Only after you were bathed and inspected were you allowed to go near it. Maybe that was just my Grandma:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea...lots more to come and Thank You!!

    Jane...As to Grama's bedspread...back in the day, we didn't always take baths each night. So Grama would say "Wash your hands and feet and go to bed". The problem there, she never told us which to wash first!! Yeah, it happened! Feet first! Yuck! She set us straight though! Hey, we were kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Can you just pack up a box of these and send them my way? Oh, add the blueberry pie that I haven't had a chance to make yer, kay? Thank.you.very.much!

    ReplyDelete